Pio Cesare, Barbaresco Il Bricco 2014

Regular price £79.50
0 in stock
  • Type:

    Red

  • Country:

    Italy

  • Region:

    Piedmont

  • ABV:

    14.50%

  • Grape:

    Nebbiolo

  • Grape Blend:

    Nebbiolo 100%

  • Vegan:

    Y

  • Winemaker:

    Pio Boffa

  • Bottle Size:

    750ml

Pio Cesare Barbaresco Il Bricco 2014 - Wine

Tasting Notes

Deep garnet; aromas of mulberry, black plum and thyme. Medium-full with a rich, deeply concentrated mid-palate. Rich young tannins that are beautifully integrated, very good acidity, excellent persistence and nicely managed wood notes. There are notes of balsamic in the finish. Outstanding varietal character, this has exceptional harmony and while approachable now, is structured for peak enjoyment in 10-12 years. 

Production Notes

The grapes are hand-harvested, then gently pressed and fermented on the skins for 15 days at 25deg.to 26C in stainless steel. 70% of the wine is then aged in mid-toasted French oak (a third new) for 30 months. The remaining 30% is aged in 20 to 50 hectolitre casks.

Critics Reviews

Critics reviews will be uploaded shortly

Producer Profile

This historic family-owned estate is named after its founder Cesare Pio, who established the winery in 1881. Based in Alba in the heart of Piemonte, it is nestled between the Alps and the Mediterranean Sea. The surrounding hills are ideal for vine growing with unique micro-climates and varying exposures. The confluence of cold Alpine air with warm maritime moisture regularly creates a mist, or nebbia, over the foothills, giving name to Nebbiolo, the great red variety of the region. In the 1950s Pio Cesare was one of the first producers to export Barolo to the UK and thereby developing the wine's reputation overseas. Today, the founder's great grandson, Pio Boffa, continues the family tradition producing Piemontese wines in a style that manages to balance the best of the old with the best of the new. Pio Cesare own 70 hectares of vineyards in the hills of Barolo and Barbaresco, including some of the prime sites for growing Nebbiolo: 16 hectares of the Ornato vineyard in Barolo and 18 hectares of Il Bricco in Barbaresco. The grapes for the Classic Barolo are grown in four vineyards belonging to the Pio Cesare family in four of the Barolo communes; Serralunga dAlba, La Morra, Grinzane Cavour and Novello. (Pio Cesare own a total of 19 hectares used for the production of Barolo and Barolo Ornato. When blended, the unique qualities of the grapes from each vineyard combine to create a harmonious and perfectly balanced wine. From 2015 vintage and onwards, the total wine production will be made from only family-owned vineyards. Pio Boffa has been responsible for evolving the family style, carefully modernising the wines without losing the classic family traits or the Piemonte character. Shorter maceration, separate lot fermentation, judicious selection from barrel and large cask ageing all respect the individuality of the regions wines. These are wines that are determined by the vineyard rather than fashion. There are a total of 11 wines within the portfolio which includes seven classic wines representing the significant and diverse terroirs of Piemonte (Barolo, Barbaresco, Nebbiolo d'Alba, Barbera d'Alba, Dolcetto d'Alba, Altro Chardonnay and Gavi). Pio Cesare has established itself as a benchmark producer of the classic wines of the region, particularly Barolo. 'They are world-renowned wines with a staggering history. Innovatively, Pio Boffa has added a limited range of single vineyard wines to the range; Barolo Ornato, Barbaresco;Il Bricco,Barbera Fides and Piodilei Chardonnay. These collectables are only produced in the very best vintages, offering a more modern interpretation of some of the great individual sites in Piemonte, an unparalleled concentration and a remarkable ageing potential.