Loimer, Kamptal Gruner Veltliner 2018

Regular price £16.75
0 in stock
  • Type:

    White

  • Country:

    Austria

  • Region:

    Kamptal

  • ABV:

    12%

  • Grape:

    Gruner Veltliner

  • Grape Blend:

    Gruner Veltliner

  • Organic:

    y

  • Winemaker:

    Fred Loimer

  • Bottle Size:

    750ml

Loimer Kamptal Grüner Veltliner 2018 - Wine

Tasting Notes

Aromas of herbs, supported by peppery notes are complemented by fresh apple. This wine is racy and crisp on the palate and beautifully balanced. The herbal character is typical of Gruner Veltliner grape.

Production Notes

The grapes were hand-picked into small crates at the beginning and middle of October. After a short maceration lasting up to 12 hours, the grapes were pressed and fined, then fermented. 95% of the fruit was fermented in temperature-controlled stainless steel tanks at 20-22C for two to four weeks with the remaining 5% being fermented in large oak barrels. The wine fermented in stainless steel remained in stainless steel tanks on its fine lees for 4 months to add depth and complexity before blending with the small percentage that was barrel fermented.

Critics Reviews

Critics reviews will be uploaded shortly

Producer Profile

The Loimer estate vineyards lie around Langenlois in the cool yet sunny Kamptal area to the north-west of Vienna. Divided into 100 parcels and planted on seven different soil types, the 80 hectares of vineyard offer huge potential for great complexity in the wines, while their high altitude and south-east/south facing aspect encourage the development of aromatic compounds in the grapes. The conversion to biodynamic viticulture began in 2006, resulting in official Respekt certification for all estate wines. Realising early on that he would follow in his father's footsteps as a winemaker, Fred Loimer attended the renowned Klosterneuburg University and gained valuable experience in Nahe, Germany and the Napa Valley. Fred took over the winery from his father in 1997, purchasing and renovating a 19th century vaulted brick cellar in 1998. Unlike many Austrian producers who go for a rich, sweet style, Fred obtains full ripeness in the vineyard yet ferments to dryness. All the Loimer wines display his trademark definition, zest and balance on the palate. The Lois and Lenz offer excellent value, while the Kamptal wines are a further step up in quality. The iconic, single vineyard Riesling and Gruner Veltliners are ranked among the best in Austria. Certified both organic and biodynamic and bottled under Vinolok, the Kaferberg and Steinmassl wines display wonderful purity of fruit, as well as a real sense of place.