Saint Damien was an early Christian saint (martyred in the year 287 A.D.), who was considered to be the patron saint of doctors. A chapel was built in his honour in the tiny hamlet of La Baumette, just outside the village of Gigondas, where Joel Saurel the owner of the domain lives. In 1979, the name Saint Damien was introduced into the name of the domain. Four generations have worked on this family estate since 1821 and in 2013 Romain joined his father on the estate. It has been certified organic since 2012.